Sunday, August 26, 2007

Easy Raisin Cinnamon Buns


My family (my mom to be precise) loves raisin cinnamon bread for breakfast. Sometimes she takes it toasted and with butter, but mostly just on its own. I love it too and always take it just on its own because it's so yummy. Gardenia California Raisin Loaf, Pepperidge Farm Raisin Cinnamon Swirl, Sunmaid Raisin Bread Cinnamon Swirl - we've tried them all.

I've experimented with a couple of recipes and have found this good 'no-fail' raisin bread recipe from busycooks.about.com. I followed it closely with a few modifications: I halved the recipe, used bread flour, omitted the eggs and shaped into buns than baking it into a loaf. I didn't make a sugar syrup as I found the bread sufficiently sweet. After baking, I felt that the bread could use a bit more cinnamon but otherwise, found it a tender, quick and easy bread.
1/2 cup sugar 2 packages active dry yeast 1-1/2 cups warm milk 2 eggs 1/2 cup butter, melted 4-1/2 cups flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1-1/2 cups raisins 1 cup powdered sugar 2 tablespoons milk 1 teaspoon vanilla
Grease a 13x9" pan and set aside. In large bowl, combine sugar and milk and stir until dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over this mixture and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs and beat well. Stir flour, salt, and cinnamon into the mixture.

Mix in raisins and spread batter into prepared pan. Brush top with melted butter. Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake bread for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. While bread is baking, combine the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla and whisk until smooth. When bread comes out of oven, drizzle with the powdered sugar mixture and let cool.

No comments: