Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Strawberries In Balsamic Vinegar Caramel With Vanilla Ice Cream And Cracked Pepper


I was thinking about other ideas for fresh strawberries and remembered this simple recipe. I first had this in my professor's house. Dan was hosting our group and made this sauce for dessert. It rounded out a really enjoyable feast of beef carpaccio salad, crab bisque, steamed broccoli in soy sauce and fresh lobsters (all homecooked, with the exception of the bisque). I really liked the sweetness and unexpected flavor of the vinegar, and tried to make it for a dinner party one night. It was well received by my guests. (I served it with a nice, rich Whole Foods private label vanilla ice-cream. People have raved about Haagen Dazs' Vanilla ice-cream and I know Paul really likes B&J's Vanilla. Vvivi told me she likes Hood Vanilla. What's your favorite?)

1 Pint of strawberries (sliced)
3 Tablespoons of sweet butter
1/4 Cup of Light Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Pint of Vanilla Ice Cream


Heat saute pan on medium, add the sweet butter, when melted, add brown sugar. When the sugar is melted, add the strawberries, cook this for about two minutes, and add the vinegar. Cook until the sauce is at a medium thickness. Place scoop of ice cream in chilled bowls and spoon berries and caramel over top. Lightly sprinkle pepper over dish.

No comments: