Fresh Blueberry Bread
Sunday was a lovely day for berry picking and farm-fresh ice-cream. We drove to Tangerini Spring Street Farms in Millis, MA, and came back with 1.5lbs of fresh blueberries in a bag. We also had three large cups of ice-cream and a large smoothie between the four of us: Purple Cow (black raspberry ice-cream with dark and white chocolate chunks), Extreme Chocolate (rich Dutch chocolate ice-cream with chocolate chunks), Rainbow Sherbet (a mix of orange, raspberry and pineapple sherbet), and a Blueberry Banana Smoothie.
Deliciously juicy and sweet, the fresh pickings made a perfect excuse to bake a loaf of quick bread. I found this blueberry muffin recipe on allrecipes, but as always, I modified it (replaced sugar with maple syrup, reduced and replaced butter with canola oil and added more fruit) and made it my own. The recipe below produced a light and mildly sweetened loaf, which was just right for me. If I were making this for a brunch, I would double the amount of sugar, to suit those with a sweeter tooth.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 tbs white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- <3/4>
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
2. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Serve warm. (Because I was making a loaf, I baked it at 450 for about 10 mins to brown the top and then for about 45 mins at 350, so that it was cooked through.)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 154
* Total Fat: 6g
* Cholesterol: 33mg
* Sodium: 265mg
* Total Carbs: 22.2g
* Dietary Fiber: 0.8g
* Protein: 3g

No comments:
Post a Comment